Motorcycle Accident Causes and Prevention
There are varying causes for motorcycle accidents in Kentucky, but many of them can be organized into categories. Motorcycle accidents can often be caused by:
- Drivers simply not seeing motorcycles (due to obstructions in their field of vision, not checking blind spots, etc.)
- Drivers failing to properly yield to motorcyclists
- Motorcyclists crashing due to physical defects in the roadway
- Distracted drivers (with cell phone use being a major factor)
In light of these common causes, roadway safety for both motorcycle riders and drivers of vehicles sharing the road with motorcycles is paramount. If you are a Kentucky motorcyclist, measures you can take to improve safety include:
- Wearing a helmet
- Wearing proper protective gear
- Avoiding riding in a vehicle’s blind spot
- Avoiding lane splitting
- Completing a motorcycle safety course
There is a certain level of risk involved in traveling on the roadway, regardless of your preferred mode of transportation, but following the list above can help improve your chances of reaching your destination safely when you opt for a motorcycle. In the event an accident does occur, serious or fatal injuries can result. In these cases, you need to know about the legal options available to you.
Your Legal Options After a Motorcycle Accident
There are times, unfortunately, when even the most intense focus on motorcyclist safety is not effective, and an accident happens. The outcome of an accident in which a motorcycle is hit by a car or truck can be devastating, including the possibility of broken bones, the need for amputation of limbs, spinal cord injuries, severe head trauma, or death.
If you or a loved one have suffered serious injuries as a result of a motorcycle accident, you may have grounds to take legal action in pursuit of compensation. This compensation can be helpful to:
- Pay medical costs (and potentially long-term care, if needed)
- Cover for lost wages due to an inability to work
- Reimburse you for property damage (to your motorcycle or other objects)
In the aftermath of a motorcycle accident, you should not have to suffer financially in addition to your physical pain and emotional stress. You have the right to seek justice, and the Schuler Law Office is ready to help you. For knowledgeable legal guidance in your motorcycle accident case in Louisville, Kentucky, or southern Indiana, reach out today.